I’ve long said that lip balm is one of my most favorite products of all time. I have a hard time getting anything accomplished without moisture on my lips. There are lip products stocked in every corner of my existence. The car, my desk, the nightstand, gym bag, handbag, work bag, bathroom… you need lip balm? I’ve got you covered.
Today Janey is home sick from school with a sore throat and the poor girl’s lips are dry and cracked but she keeps shooing me and my chapstick away. How can she even stand it? Her dry lips are making me so anxious I’ve reapplied my own lip balm 463 times in the last two hours to compensate.
“Mom, stopppppp! I don’t want anything on my lips. I don’t feel good,” she whines, slapping my hand away from her face every time I come at her with Chapstick.
Because of this, I can’t concentrate. I mean, how can I focus on the piles of paperwork on my desk when my child’s moisture-less lips are sitting on the couch right next to me? I’m rendered useless, for real.
To keep my mind on moisturized lips, here are my five favorite lip balms of the moment starting from the bottom left going clockwise:
- Carmex Ultra Smooth Lime Twist Lip Balm Stick This fresh lime flavor cools the lips with a slightly less intense version of the original Carmex, and leaves lips feeling fresh and soft. Bonus: Formulated with broad spectrum sunblock for the win.
- Fresh Sugar Rose Extreme Tinted Lip Treatment I can’t even begin to adequately express my love for the Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment line. I’m especially infatuated with the tinted versions like this Sugar Rose Extreme: it comes in the most adorable rose-covered packaging and is enriched with rose oil leaving the most divine scent and rosy tint.
- Vaseline Lip Therapy Rosy I put some of these rose-scented mini Vaseline jars in the girls’ stockings at Christmas and I think we’ve already gone through them all. This is a better, more luxurious version of everyone’s favorite Vaseline.
- COVERGIRL Lipslicks Smoochies Lip Balm This balm is lightly tinted and so moisturizing it could almost pass as a gloss. Either way, it’s easy to apply and reapply all day long. My favorite shade is Sweet Tweet, I rarely leave home without it.
- Chapstick Total Hydration My love affair with Chapstick runs long and hard. It started in Walla Walla, Washington when I would hide in my great-grandmothers dressing area and take bites off the top of her original flavor Chapstick. I would eat the Cherry Chapstick, too, but the original was my favorite. Now Chapstick has Total Hydration, three flavors of ultra moisturizing botanical complex rich in omegas available only at Target. I’m totally into the Sweet Peach flavor.
Now I need to get some work done with Janey’s chapped lips glaring at me from across the room. Would it be mean to ask her to go watch TV upstairs?